October 7 - November 30, 2023
The Pittsburgh Watercolor Society (PWS) Aqueous Open 2023 International Exhibition is a juried exhibit for artists using water-based media on paper. This year's 78th Aqueous is being presented online on the Pittsburgh Watercolor Society website.
Aqueous Open is the annual PWS exhibit open to all participants, member or not. More than $5,000 in cash and merchandise awards.
For full details on how to enter, please read the prospectus below and follow instructions carefully.
October 7- November 30
Aqueous Open International Exhibition
Online via PWS Website
Virtual Reception October 7, 4:00PM
September 8, 2023 Midnight
Notice of Acceptance
Week of September 18th
October 7, 2023,
4:00PM PWS Gallery
PWS Aqueous Open 2023
Artist Eligibility: The PWS Aqueous Open 2023 Annual Exhibition is open to all artists 18 or older working primarily with water-based media on a paper surface (YUPO and Tyvek are permitted) and unvarnished. No canvas or panels.
• Eligible media: watercolor, acrylic, casein, gouache, egg tempera
• Work must be water media on paper (Yupo is accepted) No other surfaces accepted.
• No: collage, pastels, digital images, or any form of print or reproductions.• Artist’s original work only. No class work. No work done under supervision. No copies or likenesses of another artist’s work including published source or reference work not attributable to the artist.
• Work must have been completed within the last two years and not previously shown in a PWS exhibit.
• Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work.
• Minimum size: 12" x 12" image size
• Maximum size: Whatever you feel comfortable with should the piece sell and you have to ship it.
If sold, the Artist is responsible for shipping to the buyer. All sold work must be shipped matted and with a backer. Please keep this in mind when pricing.
ENTRY FEE: for one or two pieces is $45 (US funds) for non-members and $30 (using a discount code) for Pittsburgh Watercolor Society members. The fee is non-refundable.
You can securely pay online using PayPal, even if you do not have a PayPal account. Instructions for paying by check will be provided online.
Entries MUST be submitted online. Entries that do not align with the stated guidelines will not be juried. It is the responsibility of the artist to submit an image that is correctly formatted.
Enter at CaFE by September 8, 2023.
Artists may enter up to two (2) pieces for consideration, but only one piece will be accepted.
• Go to www.callforentry.org
• Create a free artist profile and upload your digital images (1 or 2) to your portfolio. The CaFE site will resize images uploaded to the required sizing.
• Click “Apply to Calls” and search for “Pittsburgh Watercolor Society Aqueous Open 2023”
• Follow entry instructions, click to enter and pay securely by credit card or check.
ABOUT YOUR DIGITAL IMAGE:
It is important that your image follow the criteria below as this will be what the juror sees and what will be used in the online gallery.
• Digital file must be in JPG format, file size up to 3.5MB.
• For best presentation, resolution should be 300 DPI.
• MINIMUM of 2000 pixels on the longer side.
• Image must be correctly oriented (vertical or horizontal).
• Show only the image, no frame or mat.
• No digital enhancement is allowed.
• Please do not place an obvious watermark over your image as these images will be used for the online gallery.
• As this exhibit is online, and the Artist is responsible for shipping, only matting is required. The artist may contact the purchaser to confirm matting.SALES: All work must be for sale at current market value. Sales will be handled through PWS. Artist will receive 70% of sale price and Pittsburgh Watercolor Society will receive 30%. PA sales tax will be added to the sale price. If purchased, the artist will be responsible for shipping the painting with a mat and backer to the buyer.
JUROR Kathleen Conover
An abstract painter at heart, Kathleen enjoys non-objective painting and a strong “abstract under structure” is a dominant theme in all her work, with or without imagery.
As a full time artist, Kathleen exhibits her water media paintings nationally and internationally, teaches workshops and juries exhibitions. She is a signature member and repeated award recipient in several art organizations including AWS (Dolphin Fellow), NWS (Master Artist) and ISEA (Dolphin Fellow).
Kathleen in the Studio
Painting from an early age, Kathleen was influenced by teachers and artists in the fertile environment of Southern California’s prominent artists, museums, and galleries as well as early international travels. She studied undergraduate fine arts at San Diego State University, finished her Bachelor of Art degree at the University of Washington in Seattle and earned her Master of Arts degree from Northern Michigan University. Her continued study with American master watercolor artists over the next decade enriched her depth, understanding, skill and personal style of painting.
Kathleen’s current involvement in the growing international watercolor scene includes invitations to exhibit, judge and demonstrate in China, Turkey, France, Belgium, Thailand and Greece.
She has been honored as one of the 40 international master watercolorists invited to exhibit at the first watercolor-exclusive museum in Qingdao, China, the “Birthplace of Watercolor”. Global travel continues to influence her award winning paintings and inspires her work toward her lifetime pursuit “…to be a better artist”.“Conover's paintings are a perfect amalgam of form and content...rich in texture and beautiful painterly surfaces while at the same time capturing the factual reality of a world in transition.” John Salminen
Questions? Contact the show chairs at email@example.com
Aqueous Open 2021 Important Dates
||October 7 - November 30|
|Online Reception||Saturday, October 7 at 4PM|